When you need a long-term coating that’s going to protect your products and equipment, fluoropolymer coating is likely your solution. Our team at Atlas Protective Coating provides quality fluoropolymer coating application throughout the North Texas area. Join us as we cover the basics about what fluoropolymer coating is, how it’s used, and what types to look out for to fit your project.
What is Fluoropolymer Coating?
Fluoropolymer coating is one of the most dependable and reliable coating materials in the industry. These coatings are a blend of high-performance resins and fluoropolymer lubricants that also contain a superior dry film lubricant. This smooth, hard, and slick coating provides excellent corrosion and chemical resistance. Some of the other benefits of fluoropolymer coating include:
- Reduced friction
- Resistance to galling
- Electrical resistance
- Abrasion resistance
Arguably the best part about this coating is that it’s extensive and durable. These coatings can last longer than similar coatings.
How Is Fluoropolymer Coating Used?
There are many different uses for fluoropolymer coating. Because of that, you will often find the material throughout various industries. Here are some of the common uses of fluoropolymer coatings:
- Aerospace Industry: The coating is often applied to the wiring insulation in airplanes. The materials help protect the wiring and reduce the risk of fire mid-flight.
- Automotive Industry: This coating can help prevent friction and corrosion on car parts. It is often found on ball bearings and gears which both experience wear and tear.
- Food Industry: Fluoropolymer is often used in the bread, candy, and cheese industry because it prevents sticking and makes molds and trays easier to clean.
- Industrial Setting: There are many different industrial uses for fluoropolymer coating. For example, printing and packaging factories use fluoropolymer to coat their ink trays, rolls, and frames. It is also used for components and fasteners.
The demand for fluoropolymer continues to grow as more and more industries discover the benefits of the coating.
The Different Types of Fluoropolymer Coatings
Just as there are several ways to apply it, there are also several types of fluoropolymer coatings to choose from. Each type provides its own benefits and drawbacks. Here are the most commonly used types of fluoropolymer coatings:
- Xylan: Used to correct deficiencies or manufacturing defects in oil and gas parts.
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE): Used in the food industry to enhance the properties of cooking material to meet FDA standards.
- Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP): This type is very similar to PTFE and is used in the food and beverage industry to enhance the resistance of cooking surfaces.
- Polyphenylene Sulfide (PPS): Used in a wide range of different industries. Primarily used for chemical manufacturing, the automotive industry, food and beverage industry, and medical laboratories.
- Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF): This is one of the most rigid fluoropolymer materials. It is used to enhance parts that are placed in critical industries such as oil and gas, chemical manufacturing, refineries, and other industrial environments.
- TFE: Used on screws, spline shafts, and other high-functioning parts.
If you have any questions regarding which type of fluoropolymer material is best for you, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We can help you choose the material that best fits your intended use.
We’re Ready to Help
If you require fluoropolymer coating in the North Texas area, our team here at Atlas Protective Coatings is here to help. We offer a wide range of services, including fluoropolymer coating application, maintenance, and repair. Contact us today for a free quote.